Hotel / Motel Tax Application
Download the Hotel / Motel Tax Application (PDF) and submit it to:
City of Washougal
1701 C Street
Washougal, WA 98671
Please use separate applications for each individual project/event.
Tourism promotion is defined in Revised Code of Washington 67.28.080 as
activities, operations and expenditures designed to increase tourism, including but not limited to advertising, publicizing, or otherwise distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming tourists; developing strategies to expand tourism, operating tourism promotion agencies and funding the marketing of or the operation of special events and festivals designed to attract tourists.
In addition, this policy requires that proposals comply with the following criteria:
- Application requests for hotel/motel tax must be received at least two weeks prior to the event in order to qualify for funding.
- Broad tourism promotion efforts will be given higher priority over the financing of individual festivals, concerts, or shows.
- Hotel/motel funding requests should be directed to those events which generate maximum economic benefit.
- Large events requiring overnight hotel and camping stays should therefore be favored over smaller and/or single day events.
- Hotel/motel funding requests should be focused toward sporting, cultural, and leisure events.
All applications will be reviewed by the City Lodging Tax Committee for approval as long as it is within the City's budget.
The final funding decision is up to the City. The City Lodging Tax Committee places an emphasis on the following when evaluating each application:
- How many room night rentals will the project generate?
- How reliable is the information provided?
- Does the project promote the City of Washougal outside its borders?
- What is the anticipated overall dollar expenditure within the City as a result of the event?
Please include an event budget as part of the application for funding.
The City Lodging Tax Committee encourages all events and organizations to work towards self-sufficiency. All recipients will be required to note on any advertising material, through either the use of the approved logo or text,
Tourism support provided by City of Washougal hotel/motel tax funds, or the event will not be funded. The approved tourism logo tag and usage guidelines can be found on the Lodging Tax Media page.
If approved, funding shall be provided on a reimbursement basis. Exceptions to this may be available and is at the discretion of the Lodging Tax Committee and City.
Use the Lodging Tax Reimbursement Form to record attendance, overnight lodging and items requesting reimbursement. Forms must be submitted to the City of Washougal, Attn: Finance, 1701 C Street, Washougal, WA 98671.